Two time Deca Ironman Finisher!! Tony Finishes Day 11. Congratulations Tony!!


Friday 6 September 2013

I must learn to embrace change


Typically the only time I like change from a pre designed script is when I am the one doing the change and somehow it benefits me.   This is not the case this time.  Everything has been turned on its head and the only constant theme is that things will continue to change.  I had prepared myself for flat closed circuit course for the bike.  It is now a rolling 6kloop on the crazy roads of Italy.  A couple of rollers over the course of 6kms doesnt sound too bad, know repeat those rollers 30 times over the course of a day, sounds very difficult to a guy who comes from flatland.  I'm always astonished when we are driving in a car and another car comes toward us, how will they both fit, seems impossible but somehow it happens.  Now add a bicycle to that equation, I'm getting real nervous.  I practiced swimming in a lake with a wetsuit, now we are in a pool.  The original race was suppose to be at a 5 star golf course with hot tub, spa and 2 athletes in a delux apartment. I am now in the countryside at sort of a medieval farm sharing space with 6 athletes.  It's very Tuscan like and very Rustic.  It would great in a brochure or a post card.  It has huge wooden doors, arches everywhere, stone floors and im expecting a farm animal to come round the corner at any time.  It's definetly better than the tent I was staying in last time around but it is a far cry from a resort.  I'm sure that after I start the race all this change will be insignificant at that point

We did go out last night for pizza and wine, today we went for lunch in the countryside in the back yard of a restaurant that was surrounded by huge amounts of Rosemary, Sage, Parsley and other herbs.  All appeared on my plate in some form or another.  It's fun talking to the other guys and swapping stories about our adventures.  My friends think I'm crazy but in this crowd I'm considered timid and the non craziness out of us all.  I must remember that all the atmosphere of Italy and the charm of the cobble streets and outside chafes will all disappear after Sunday.  Right now I feel like I'm on vacation and I get to enjoy everything that old world Italy has to offer.  Tommorow they have the opening banquet where they fatten you up prior to impending doom..

My roommate is 26 years old and his name is Himey, he has never done a Deca before and he decided to sign up for the Triple.  And you call me crazy, he actually bought a recumbent bike in order to protect the well being of his junk.  Obviously he wants to have children in the future.
Another guy in myapartment is   Lorenzo, he knows his way around a bike and took pity on me when he seen me scratching my head on how to put my bike back together again.  Matt from the bike shop put something on the stem to protect it.  I didn't realize that it was not a part of the bike and was perplexed why my bars wouldn't go back on.  He speaks no English but he reassembled my bike in record time.

The weather is 27 degrees but it is unbelievably humid and hot.  My t shirt is constantly wet from sweat.  I also forgot to mention there is no air conditioning in my accommodations however I do have a stone fireplace in the living area and in the kitchen.  My wife tried to tell me to take soap, shampoo and essentials with me.  I told her that they would have them in my room. Wrong,  when will I learn just to shut up and listen.

My new motto is that one should learn to embrace change, it all goes back to Ying and Yang

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog. Only took me thirty minutes via google, amazing what you can find with ones name on the Internet. I book marked it for mother , but she's not sure if or when she will read. Your family loves you and wishes you all the best. You are the most determined person I know, I don't need to wish you luck for this reason. All I can say is be safe! I'll take a quote from the Ontario lottery and gaming commissions "know your limits and stick within it". Missing you already, mum sends her love. Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete