Two time Deca Ironman Finisher!! Tony Finishes Day 11. Congratulations Tony!!


Saturday 7 September 2013

Let the games begin

Went to the press conference today and got some clarification on some missing details.  They have done a great job reorganizing everything on such short notice.  After the meeting we had a swimsuit fashion layout for a Italian sports magazine.  Don't worry I wasn't in a speedo, actually they wanted you to wear your wetsuit and everyone went individual.  They had cameras lighting and bid umbrellas and other stuff.  They took around 15 minutes with every athlete.  Unfortunately it is 31 degrees today and standing in line in a full wetsuit was crazy.  I decided to borrow another guys wetsuit top then I put on my jammers and that was more comfortable.  When it was my roommates turn I told him they were going to get out the wind machine.  He is 26, tall and has what I have always wanted.  Long flowing hair.   We also got interviewed for a documentary that they are doing on Endurance athletes.  They asked unusual questions but I guess we are an unusual bunch.
I also had to check in with medical, he spoke no English and I was happy I didn't have to bend over.  He did a bunch of guys before me, then he hooked electrodes to my feet and hands.  It measures muscles mass, body fat and a whole lot of other things.  We will get results on Monday, I'm assuming they will use those for a baseline. When I got off the table he did an Incredible Hulk pose and said very good in a broken English.  That put a smile on my face.

We drove the bike course and I got to tell you it is full of rollers and small climbs that must be repeated 30 times each day.  I still don't know how two cars and a bike are going to co exist.  This is going to worry me until I'm too exhausted to care.  It's so weird, everyone spent the summer talking about compact cranks, special gearing and whatnot.  I stayed out of all those  situations and didn't want anything to do with hill training.  I was actually smug about it.  Now I am faced with the exact thing I tried to avoid all year.

I plan on rocking the tuxedo bike shirt tommorow.  It's a tradition for me.  I plan on taking tommorow slow and measure out my efforts over the course of the next 30 days.  I really don't know what to expect over the course of this race.  Remember, I only started running again last month and 10 k has been my distance.  Tommorow I need to do 42k after the 3.8k swim and the 180k bike.  That's going to be a big ask for my body and my ankle.  My goal right now is just to make it to the end tommorow.  I will worry about the rest later.

How do you eat an elephant.....   I bite at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Tony! Went for dinner with the 'Ironman Club' last night and you were certainly the topic of conversation! There are so many stories - I can only imagine where the conversation would have gone if we had read your recent post about photo shoots and the Incredible Hulk! :)
    Hope you have a good day today and that you stay safe. Being the only Canadian to sign up for this and only one of a handful in the world is not lost on any of us. We know you will do your absolute best within the conditions of the course and your body.
    Looking forward to reading tonight's blog. Stay safe!
    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine you being the "timid one".... all the best and looking forward to reading your posts. oh and next time you might want to listen to your wife :)they are with us for a reason

    ReplyDelete