Two time Deca Ironman Finisher!! Tony Finishes Day 11. Congratulations Tony!!


Thursday 19 September 2013

Licking my wounds

Did not race today, stayed in bed.  Walking is difficult so doing another day seems out of the question.  My feet will need some recovery to get the swelling and inflammation down.  Had lots of time to reflect today, some times that's good sometimes that's bad.  I'm happy with the fact that I know I couldn't go another day today, unhappy with the fact I couldn't go another day today.

The swim was easy to do every day, the first five days of the bike course where pure hell, then they changed the course which was still difficult and challenging but I was getting used to it and did not dread it anymore.  The run is another beast of its own.  They had you going the same wy for the first six days which really put pressure on you feet.  Everyone had blisters all over there baby toe.  I suggested the change it to the other way.  Next day it was changed.  Now they are opting to alernate it every other day.  This race was so unorganized from the beginning.  It's day 12 and slowly improvements are being made.  Too late for the people who came before.  If my feet where not swollen I would be still going.  It's amazing to me that we can push ourselves to that level.

I obviously made some mistakes and could have done better, I should be pleased with 11 Ironmans in a row on a monster of a course, but the truth is, I'm disappointed.
Everyone is very kind and has nice things to say but I will always be my own critic.  My 26year old roommate is still on the course.  His wife and mother in law arrived today, which will uplift his spirits.  We got along really well and became immediate friends.  I'm happy for him but also jealous that he is still going and I am not.

Some of the guys that dropped out earlier are re entering the race at different times and date.  It all started out being how many consecutive date could you compete.  Now some are seeing how many can they finish in 30 days.

5 comments:

  1. What does one say at this point??? Make the best decision for you and your family!

    God Speed.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The measure of a great report card is not just marks. If you have done your best, no one can ask any more of you. You already have a GREAT report card!! We will be cheering for you whether you are recuperating or back in the game.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony ,your roommate is 26 ,and you are ? ... You didn't sign up for THIS. Race ,They changed everything from what was originally advertised . You should not be disappointed ,How many in th world can say they have done 11 iron mans in a row. How many are crazy enough to even try .Lick those wounds ,get those feet back to looking like feet again ,so you can walk again .And get your ass home to your family that loves you and misses you dearly .Miale misses her Bapa ...Take care .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something tells me you're not done yet! I can "hear" it in those words you have written. Everyone is very proud (and astounded) at your accomplishment!
    Best,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony where are you?? Sitting here with Rosaire, Karen and Amy - just wondering where you are... hope you are doing good. Post an update when you can.

    ReplyDelete